Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday 14 January 2009

    Seven Pounds Premiere & The Astoria's Farewell

    Another cold evening spent outside, this time photographing the 'Seven Pounds'premiere in Leicester Square. Will Smith was good with fans and photographers alike and others celebs at including Danielle Lloyd and Gok Wan.






    Following this I covered the final night at the Astoria before it is knocked down to make way for the Crossrail project.
    The closing night had been scheduled for tomorrow, the 15th, and was expected to feature The Who and Kasabian, but that was cancelled. Tonight's bill was a lot less low key in terms of names, but did feature some good acts like The Mystery Jets (below).
    I wouldn't count the Astoria as one of my favourite venues, compared to somewhere like Brixton Academy, where I've spent far more time. However, it's sad to see it go. I just hope this isn't the way things go for other large London venues, as the capital is in my eyes, the live musical capital of the world.
    Finally, the best gig I saw at the Astoria and the stand out moment? Seeing Blur in 2003.





    http://www.samirhussein.com

    1 comment:

    1. Hi Sam Did you know that the who's song "Long live rock" starts with the Lyrics "Down at the Astoria the Scene was changing" Ironic really.Ian

      ReplyDelete