Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday 23 October 2008

    Bodyworlds, Trafalgar Square & The Streets

    The Bodyworlds exhibition, 'Body Worlds & The Mirror of Time' was both amazing to witness and photograph. The man behind it, Gunther von Hagens, is no stranger controversy but I found his latest and biggest exhibit, which shows the body living through time – at its most radiant and as it changes, grows, matures, peaks and finally wanes - compelling and totally different to anything I've seen before. To think these are real bodies takes some getting used to as they look more like wax works, but the show as a whole shows a lot - not just about how our bodies function and age, but also about life in general.






    Later that evening I had a busy schedule as firstly I clambered up in blustery and rainy conditions to the roof the National Gallery on Leicester Square to photograph an outdoor screening as part of the BFI London Film Festival.
    I was taken up to the roof by security man who'd come out of retirement to continue his 20-year career at the National Gallery. He was a real gentleman, but it took him an age to get me into position on the roof through a host of reasons (lift not working, picking up the wrong keys, rambling conversations), by which time I was already late for my next job of photographing The Streets at the Roundhouse. I'd have begun to lose my temper if he hadn't been so a kind, aimable guy. I quickly got the shots from the roof of the outdoor crowd braving the rain to watch 'High Treason' on the huge screen before rushing back down to get more shots from ground level.




    I made it with absolutley no time to spare to The Streets headlining the second night of the Electric Proms, so barely had time to set up my camera before Mike Skinner and his boys hit the stage. I still got some good results. Sometimes I think it's an advantage to have to start shooting with no preparation or thought about how you're going to photograph a subject. You just react to the situation and shoot from instinct.



    1 comment:

    1. I think it's nice to see dissected corpses now seem to be available for the general public to see. To think that throughout the second half of the 19th century and perhaps throughout 96% of the 20th, viewing such dissections was the privilege of certain individuals. I'm glad to see that this now seems to have changed.

      I wonder if Body Worlds display the alimentary canal anywhere? There didn't seem to be such an exhibit on display at Body Worlds in London in August 2009. How about, therefore, Body Worlds displaying the alimentary canal for us to see?

      How about Body Worlds displaying exhibits of more animals and different kinds of animals? Already I've seen an elephant, for example.

      I am featured on the BBC website and anxious to bring my weblinks to everyone's attention. Simply visit Google and type in KELLER BBC or BBC KELLER, as you should see JEREMY KELLER BBC appear on the screen. You should also be able to look me up on Google by searching for:

      favour of flying cars

      lunar mountaineering

      lunar night earthlight

      wreck of Luna 2

      night half facing Saturn

      craters resembling dividing cells

      dent resistant bodywork

      motionized pictures

      motionized paintings

      ReplyDelete