Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday 9 February 2008

    The Great Fire Of Camden

    My Saturday night with friends was thrown out of kilter when news broke of a huge fire engulfing Camden market. I was undertaking an impromtu portrait session with my friend Nina in my flat when phone calls started streaming in telling of a massive fire burning down not only the market, but also regular drinking spot and key celeb hangout, the Hawley Arms pub.
    I instantly went from being portrait photographer to news hound, picking up an extra body and long lens to make the short walk with friends to check out the scene of the fire. Unfortunately we arrived around 15 minutes too late to get really close to the inferno, where the great photos would have been, but I still managed to get a few from the Camden Lock bridge for Getty. Half of Camden was soon closed off, with hundreds of bemused characters wandering around gazing as fire fighters continued to tackle the fire. There were various rumours abound as to how bad The Hawley Arms was damaged, so the next morning we wandered down to take a look and get some more photos. The evidence was clear: The Hawley, along with one section of the Camden market had been gutted. No doubt both will be back.







    No comments:

    Post a Comment